Are you looking for an adventurous toy for your child? After testing 28 kids go karts for kids of three different types, electric, pedal and gas, Razor Dune Buggy, in our experts’ opinion, is the best present for your buddy to enjoy the race!
Razor Dune Buggy – Powerful Compact Go-Kart
- It has adjustable throttle that parents can control, starting with a low speed and raising it up to 10 MPH.
- It uses 2 12-volt batteries and a 350-watt motor for strength.
- The load capacity is 120 pounds, which is excellent for electric go-karts for kids.
- The battery lasts for almost an hour on the fastest setting and even longer for lower settings.
The best kids go kart is something that the entire family can enjoy. Buying your child one of the best go-karts for kids will be sure a present that he remembers for years to come.
Chances are if it has a motor and can drive fast, they want to have it. If their parents have a go-kart, your kids will definitely want their version of one. Little kids like the rush of adrenaline and speed just like adults, but these go-karts are designed for kids. That makes them safer to enjoy than the adult versions.
Top Electric Go-Karts Comparison
|Razor Dune Buggy||Check Price|
|Razor Ground Force Electric Go-Kart||Check Price|
Great for All Ages
|Segway Ninebot Electric GoKart Kit||Check Price|
|Go-Bowen Baja Electric Kids Go-Kart||Check Price|
|Actev Arrow Smart-Kart Electric Go-Kart||Check Price|
5 Best Electric Go Karts for Kids
1. Razor Dune Buggy – Powerful Compact Kids Go-Kart
Razor is a top brand for vehicles for youth. The Razor Dune Buggy has a powerful, 350-watt electric motor with a high speed of 10 miles per hour. That’s a great combination because your kids will be thrilled with speed, but it’s not too fast to cause your child serious harm.
- 8-inch knobby pneumatic tires that are perfect for difficult terrain and offroad driving.
- It supports up to 120 pounds of weight, so it works for children ages eight-year-old and older.
- You can expect a noiseless operation.
- Razor used two 12-Volt sealed rechargeable battery system, lasting for up to 40 minutes of continuous use. Plug it for charging afterward.
- All of the hand controls are easy to operate.
- It features a durable, tubular steel frame that is built to last while keeping your child safe. The frame is combined with a diamond plated traction floorboard for a sturdy buggy.
The Razor Dune Buggy is made with safety in mind. Not only is the frame strong and durable, but Razor added bucket seats with a seat belt and shoulder straps. You’ll find an optional safety flag included so that you can mount it to the frame for better visual safety.
- Features a 24-Volt Battery
- Seat Belt & Shoulder Straps
- Steel Frame
- 120 Pound Weight Limit
- Low Max Speed of 10 MPH
- Only 40 Minutes of Continuous Use
- Very Heavy
- Sharp Turning
Razor Dune Buggy is a great choice for older kids and teens. Old school design, solid steel framework, and built-in seatbelt will give your kids the most exciting and safe one-hour ride ever.
2. Razor Ground Force – Smooth Ride Go-Kart for Children
Another choice for electric go-karts for kids by Razor is their Ground Force. It’s a low-riding go-kart that is designed for road drifting and off-trail riding. With its race-tuned chassis and low-profile cast aluminum heels, kids love the Razor Ground Force.
- It has an upper weight limit of 140 pounds, and it’s ideal for kids ages eight years old and up.
- This go-kart has a maximum speed of 12 MPH, and it runs for approximately 45 minutes of drive time per charge.
- Razor added aluminum wheels, steel frame construction, and upgraded rear axle so that kids can maneuver through tricks and turns with ease.
- It has a thumb trigger acceleration control and hand-operated rear brakes.
- Another nice feature is a spark bar for emitting sparks behind the go-karts for kids, which kids think is the coolest feature.
- Razor uses two 12-volt sealed, lead-acid batteries.
Kids with some advanced experience on go-karts for kids will find the Razor Ground Force just what they want. This go-kart ups the ante for those who are looking for something extra. Even though you might be a bit worried, the low-riding design of this go-kart with a low-max speed of 12 MPH.
- Ideal for Ages 7-12 Years Old
- 140 Pound User Weight Limit
- 12 MPH
- Uses two 12-Volt Batteries
- Hand-Brake for Stopping
- 12-Hour Charge
- Doesn’t Have Reverse
- Huge Turn Radius
Razor Ground Force is good for flat low-traffic roads because of its aluminum wheels and thick rubber tires. 12-Volt battery provides 40 minutes of joyful driving and makes you speed up to 12 miles per hour. It takes a little time to put it together so you are able to check it out immediately.
3. Segway Ninebot Electric GoKart Kit – Super Adjustable Go-Kart
If you’re looking for top-performing electric go-karts for kids, the Segway Nineboth is exactly what you are looking for. It goes from 0 to 12 MPH in seconds, outmatching most other go-karts on the market.
- There are three modes available on the Ninebot – novice, standard, and sporty. You can convert it from a segway to a go-kart.
- It can reach a maximum speed of 15 MPH.
- There is a maximum weight limit of 220 Pounds.
- Segway has an adjustable frame and steering wheel that fits riders between 4’5” to 6’3”.
- The reverse electric start is enabled.
- It uses hand brakes for appropriate safety.
- There is a steering ratio of 2.1:1 which allows for precision steering and the ability to go around tight turns.
- You can connect the Go-Kart to the app, which allows parents to display driving speed, cruising range, and reminders in real-time.
For protection, the outer part is a plastic energy-absorbing layer that absorbs energy during the event of a collision while also reducing the impact force. The inner layer involves the main steel beam to provide high-strength protection for the body of the go-karts for kids. This steel beam also prevents the deformation of the scooter body.
- Converts From Segway to Go-Kart
- Max Speed of 15 MPH
- Holds Up to 220 Pounds
- Easy to Steer
- Hard to Convert
- Requires Segway miniPRO or Ninebot S
Not only kids can enjoy Segway Ninebot Electric GoKart Kit but the whole family! The adjustable kit’s frame and a weight capacity of 200+ pounds give parents an opportunity to take a ride too. There is a Segway app you can install so you can get acquainted with the setting instructions, latest updates and news.
4. Go-Bowen Baja Electric Kids Go Kart – Durable Electric Go-Kart
The Go-Bowen Baja Go-Kart features a 1000-watt brushless motor and a 48-volt battery. Go-Bown added a parental speed control function so that you can determine the top speed for your child. That helps you feel safer when your child is riding.
- There are three-speed control options for parents: 10 MPH, 13 MPH, and 17-20 MPH.
- It features a disc brake system that is foot controlled. This system gives your child a sense of really driving the vehicle.
- Go-Bowen uses a frame created with high-tensile steel.
- For safety, Go-Bowen added a seat belt and an adjustable seat.
- The battery allows it to last for at least an hour on the fastest setting, so it goes even longer if your child is riding on the lower speeds.
- The go-kart weighs around 140 pounds, and it has a maximum load capacity of 179 pounds. However, some state that it feels a bit cramped for taller riders.
The Go-Bowen Baja is one of the fastest and expensive go-karts for kids with impressive power and speeds. Your child will leave everyone in the dust if you let him have the top speed options. As you can imagine, the Baja is best for slightly older kids.
- Good Battery Life
- Fast Speed Options
- Parental Controls
- Seat Belt
- Small and Cramped Design
Go-Bowen Baja Electric Kids Go-Kart has a live axle, hydraulic disk brakes and a battery level display for more safety and comfy driving. Parents can not worry about their kids going fast due to the parental key adjusting the kart to 7, 15 or 20 MPH.
5. Actev Arrow Smart-Kart Electric Go-Kart – Smart Kids Go-Kart
If you’re looking for electric go-karts for kids between the ages of 5 and nine years old, the Actev Arrow Smart-Kart grows with your child for years to come. Wit the Actev App, available on both iOS and Android, parents can supervise their kids.
- Actev designed the go-kart with a rigid steel chassis, pneumatic rubber tires, and an electronic regenerative braking system.
- It has a 130-pound weight limit
- The smart features help to keep your child safe while combining the experience of driving with parental supervision. You can remotely stop, control speed, and create safe driving zones.
- The anti-collision sensor stops the go-kart if an obstacle is detected.
- The adjustable speed limits up to 12 MPH, along with an emergency stop button.
- Features two independent 250W electric motors.
- The standard battery supports between 20-40 minutes of drive time before needing to be charged.
Actev Arrow Smart Kart brings technology forward for parents. It combines pneumatic rubber tires and powerful electric motors with dual speakers, WiFi, GPS, and parental controls.
- Parental Controls
- Features Anti-Collision Sensor
- Adjustable Speed Limit
- Pneumatic Rubber Tires
- Only 40 Minutes of Drive Time
Actev Arrow Smart-Kart Electric Go-Kart is a great connection of racing and technologies so its name is undoubtedly proved. Parents are able to watch their kids and control the speed using the Actev app via Wi-Fi connection. Your kid can’t overgrow the go-kart fast because of highly-flexible features.
Top Pedal Go-Karts Comparison
|Berg Toys Pedal Go Kart||Check Price|
|Hauck Batmobile Pedal Go Kart||Check Price|
|Hauck Hurricane Pedal Go Kart||Check Price|
|Hauck Lightning Pedal Go Kart||Check Price|
|Mobo Triton Pedal Go Kart Trike||Check Price|
5 Best Pedal Go-Karts for Kids
1. Berg Toys Pedal Go Kart – Fast and Agile Go-Kart
If you’re looking for a pedal kids go-karts that are easy to assemble, the Berg Toys Pedal Kart will be put together in no time. Your child will be riding all over the yard on the rubberized pneumatic tires that let your child ride on any surface material.
- It’s ideal for kids between the ages of 3 and 8 years old with a 150-pound weight limit.
- There are three seat settings for different heights, so this go-kart can grow with your child for years.
- The frame is made from powder-coated tubular steel, which is lightweight but also strong and durable. The entire go-kart only weighs around 40 pounds.
- It has a BFR: brake, forward, and reverse. The pedals follow the direction that your child wants to ride.
- Pneumatic tires create a controlled ride with traction on a variety of terrain.
For kids who have never used a pedal go-kart, the Berg Toys Pedal Go-Kart is a safe, durable, and secure option, especially if your child loves Joh Deere.
- Easy to Assemble
- Simple Braking System
- Adjustable Seat Grows with Child
- Durable Steel Frame
- Kids Outgrow in Height Fast
- Not Good in Grass
Berg Toys Pedal Go Kart is one of the best go kart for kids on the market because of its durability and firm assembly. Thick seat and tubular steel frame guarantee safe and comfortable riding. Pneumatic tires provide a smooth grip and ability to ride on wet surfaces.
2. Hauck Batmobile Pedal Go Kart – Sport Styled Go-Kart
Do you have a child who is obsessed with the best kids go-karts and Batman? If so, you can’t go wrong with the Hauck Batmobile Pedal Go-Kart. It’s an answer to so many little kids’ dreams. Your child can pretend to be Batman, heading to save someone in danger.
- Inspired by the original Batmobile, Hauck used an awesome black color scheme with old-school Batman graphics.
- It uses a similar chassis as other Hauck go-karts on the market.
- Hauck uses a sporty 3-point steering system that makes it easy for kids to navigate around the corners, and the gripped rubber tires make it perfect for a variety of terrains.
- The bucket seat is comfortable and adjustable with a handbrake on the right side for easy access.
- Hand brakes allow your child to stop quickly and safely.
The Hauck Batmobile is aimed at kids aged 4 to 8 years old, and it can handle up to 120 pounds. So, your child can get a few years of using this go-kart.
- Perfect for Kids Between 4 and 8 Years Old
- Goes in Forward and Reverse
- Durable Frame
- Uses a Handbrake For Fast Stopping
- Hard to Assemble
- Not Ideal for Taller Kids
Is your kid a Batman fan? Then he will be overexcited with his own Batmobile! Hauck Batmobile Pedal Go Kart is supplied with a 3-point steering wheel and sporty pedals just like in a real racing car. And seat that may be adjusted will provide superhero driving for years!
3. Hauck Hurricane Pedal Go Kart – Large Wheeled Go-Kart for Children
Does your child want to have a seriously cool go-kart? Your child can cruise around in the Hauck Hurricane Pedal Go-Kart. It’s an awesome pedal kart with bright red and black finish that looks sharp.
- It has a sport 3-point steering system that makes it responsive and quick to turn. It’s perfect for racing.
- The bucket seat is adjustable to accommodate a growing child or multiple kids.
- They use race-style pedals for adequate control, and the rubber wheels grip on a range of surfaces.
- The 12” rims provide extra stability along with the steel frame.
- Hauck Hurricane lists this pedal go-kart for kids aged four years old and above with a 120-pound weight limit.
With its innovative design and durable features, the Hauck Hurricane creates an authentic driving experience. Your child gets to take the place of the driver, putting the pedal to the metal in a comfortable and safe go-kart.
- Easy to Assemble
- 120 Pound Weight Limit
- Seat available for adjustment
- Small for Bigger Kids
- Hard to Pedal on Grass or Hills
Tough and sturdy steel framework provides weight capacity up to 100 lbs, so Hauck Hurricane Pedal Go Kart fits perfectly for kids from 4 to 8 years old. Due to fat rubber tires, it is possible to ride on concrete or even on grass. The luxury sporty design is an extra pleasant feature for young fast drivers.
4. Hauck Lightning Pedal Go Kart – In-and-Out Pedal Go-Kart
If you have younger children, you don’t want them going around too fast. The Hauck Lightning Pedal Go-Kart is designed for children 4 to 7 years old, utilizing basic pedal power rather than electric or gas-power.
- It comes in bright pink and bright green, so it stands out from other boring pedal karts. Plus, there is a color your child should like.
- The unit weighs 25.9 pounds, so you can pick it up and move it around if needed.
- Your child can pedal in reverse and forward.
- Hauck used pedal-push Sprocket, which is perfect for younger kids. It makes it much easier to pedal for little ones.
- The design of this pedal go-kart is awesome with race-inspired pedals, rubber wheels, and an 8-ball style hand brake. Plus, it uses a 3-point sporty steering wheeling and steel tube powder-coated frame.
- The ergonomic bucket seat is adjustable and has a high backrest for a comfortable sitting position. It can grow with your child over time.
The Hauck Lightning gives an authentic driving experience for kids who want to control their speed. It’s designed to be the perfect pedal go-kart for younger drivers, and you can use it both indoor and outdoor. Using this go-kart will encourage physical activity, building strength, and endurance.
- Ages 4 to 7 Years Old
- Easy to Assemble
- Easy to Pedal for Little Kids
- Adjustable Seat
- Doesn’t Work on Grass or Gravel Well
- Chain Breaks Often
- Little Clearance Between The Pedals and Ground
Hauck Lightning Pedal Go Kart is a good way out for small kids who do not grow up and are not ready for electric go-karts yet. Forwarding and reverse actions, hand brake, 3-point steering wheel provide a comfortable driving and easy balancing.
High and adjustable backseat for comfy riding. child-oriented ergonomics a
5. Mobo Triton Pedal Go Kart Trike – Easy-to-Ride 3-Wheeler
The Mobo Triton Pedal Go-Kart Trike is a uniquely designed recumbent bike that kids can enjoy outside. It’s an easy to ride 3-wheeler for kids that can cruise on flat paved surfaces and gently sloping terrain.
- No balance is required to ride this bike. It’s low to the ground on a 3-wheel frame, only 11 inches off of the ground.
- The dual-joystick helps to steer smoothly, maneuvering around turns with just simple hand movements.
- Pedaling with this bike is the perfect low impact exercise for kids.
- It’s designed to fit small and large riders, adjusting to kids and adults from 3’8” to 5’2” with a weight limit of 200 pounds.
- Mobo uses a steel frame with a maintenance-free chainless design.
- There are two different sized wheels – a 16” front wheel and a 12” rear wheel.
The Mobo Triton is a recumbent trike for kids ages 7-12 years old. It’s a US-based company that offers a fun ride with a comfortable seat and a chainless chassis design. With its durable steel frame, you can expect this cruiser to last for years.
- Easy to Assemble
- Sturdy and Durable
- Fun for Kids
- US-Based Company
- 200 Pound Weight Limit
- No Speed Gears
- No Headrest
Mobo Triton Pedal Go Kart Trike fits great for kids and teens of all ages due to an extendable steel frame so your go-kart will grow with your young rider. As the weight capacity is up to 200lbs, it is also ok for adults. The low-to-the-ground design provides perfect stability and it can be recommended for beginners.
Top Gas-Powered Go-Karts Comparison
|Coleman Powersports Go Kart||Check Price|
|GTC TrailMaster MINI XRX Kart||Check Price|
|TAO TAO Jeep Style 110cc Gokart||Check Price|
|ScooterX Sport Go Kart||Check Price|
|Kandi 150cc 2-seat Go Kart||Check Price|
5 Best Gas-Powered Go-Karts for Kids
1. Coleman Powersport Go Kart – Extra Safe Go-Kart
If you are familiar with outdoor camping and sports products, you’ll recognize the brand name Coleman. They’re a powerhouse in the industry, and they put together a line of popular go-karts. The Powersport Go-Kart is a gas-powered four-stroke OHV one-cylinder engine.
- It’s recommended for riders up to 150 pounds, so even adults can get into this go-kart and take a spin. This go-kart is best for those who are 13 years old and up.
- Coleman added plenty of power to this go-kart, featuring a 98cc/3.0 HP engine, letting it reach speeds up to 30 MPH.
- It uses an easy pull start operation with a torque converter. Combined with the low-pressure tires, the Coleman is a soft, smooth ride even when on rugged terrain.
- The system uses a hydraulic foot-operated disc brake system for reliable stopping.
- For comfort and safety, the go-kart has bolstered seats and a four-point safety harness that keeps your child securely behind the wheel. It also features a heavy-duty padded roll cage.
- There s a kill-switch that ensures easy and quick power-off.
With the rugged, heavy-duty 16 and 13-gauge tubular construction and a rugged clutch, this go-kart will withstand years of fun on the trails.
- Max Weight Limit of 150 Pounds
- Rugged, Good for Off-Roading
- 4-Point Safety Harness
- Padded Roll Cage
- Plenty of Power
- Chain Rattles
- No Safety Lights for Night Riding
Coleman Powersport Go Kart is a powerful 4-stroke engine fully automatic engine which provides a smooth take-off and it takes a few seconds to speed up. As for a gas-powered go-kart, this one is quite silent so you will not be annoyed by the noise.
2. GTC TrailMaster MINI XRX Kart – Great Price-Quality Kart
If you’re looking for a dune buggy for your child, be prepared to drop some money. This Trailmaster GTC Mini XRX is the ultimate go-kart choice for your child, full of features that you’ll love. While it comes at a steep list price, you won’t be lacking for features.
- A powerful 163cc engine reaches a maximum speed of 25 MPH.
- It has a load capacity of 400 pounds.
- You can purchase this go-kart in five colors: yellow, red, green, black, and blue.
- Trailmaster added an electric start and remote control for starting.
- For safety, Trailmaster added a seat belt and working headlights, plus a horn for easy awareness.
- This buggy can fit two kids inside. There are safety belts for both children, so both kids are held firmly in place while riding on rough terrain.
- There are guard bars and frames for additional safety while hitting the bumps and bangs.
Your child should have some experience before you hand them the keys to this go-kart. It has a maximum speed of 25 MPH with a 12.4 MPH climbing ability. Trailmaster used a powerful four-stroke, single-cylinder gas-powered engine.
- Low Center of Gravity to Reduce Flipping
- Fits Two Riders
- 400 Pounds
- Max Speed of 25 MPH
- Remote Control Start
- A Tendency for Chain to Break
GTC TrailMaster MINI XRX Kart is positioned as a high-quality fast go-kart for a reasonable list price. It ensures maximum speed up to 12 MPH and is able to overclimb low obstacles so it is ok for off-road driving. Dual seat means you can share the fun with your best friend!
3. Tao Tao Jeep Style 110cc Go-Kart – Fully Controlled Go-Kart
Tao Tao is known for creating go-karts, four-wheelers, and other vehicles for youth. The Tao Tao Jeep Style Go-Kart offers a simplistic design for a double seat go-kart. We like that the simple design that keeps the weight of the kart down.
- A robust and durable 110cc that doesn’t require the mixing of gas and oil with automatic reverse electric start. It uses a chain drive with an electric start.
- It can easily fit two people, whether that is two younger adults or an adult and child riding together.
- There is a total max load weight of 220 pounds.
- Tao Tao used a rear hydraulic disc foot brake system.
- It has a suspension height of 14.15 inches for both the front and rear.
It’s an excellent choice for older kids who want fun without going too fast. This go-kart is a step up from a beginner with all-terrain tires, stable suspension, and a dynamic braking system. However, if you want a go-kart that is designed for intense off-roading, this won’t be the right choice for you. It’s best for road riding and basic dirt trail riding.
- Comes 85% Assembled
- Good for Off-Roading
- Seat Belts Included
- Speed Control Mechanism
- Electric Start
- Better for Smaller Kids
- Not The Best Roll Bars
- Might Lose Power Up Hills
Tao Tao Jeep Style 110cc Go-Kart is bigger, faster and safer than many other equal offers on the market. A small display gauge is implemented so the drivers are aware of signals, lights and brights status. It comes with a distance controller for parents to govern the vehicle.
4. ScooterX Sport Go Kart – On-and-Off Road Go-Kart
ScooterX Sport Go Kart offers OHV four-stroke gas engine with a centrifugal clutch, hand brake, and throttle. Teenagers and adults love the look of this modern and sleek off-road runner.
- It has a 196cc fuel tank capacity.
- ScooterX uses big 13″ knobby tires that help with the sport go-kart go over all-terrain. It’s a 4-wheel drive vehicle.
- It has an adjustable suspension system with coil-over shocks.
- One of the fastest gas-powered go-karts in this unit -with 40+MPH of maximum speed.
With a simple but sporty design, steel thin framework and butterfly steering wheel, teens and adults are welcome to enjoy driving fast. Due to thick huge tires, it is possible to take off-rides like mud or dirt but you might be faced with troubles if there are some big obstacles.
- High-speed ability
- Thick off-road tires
- Completely upgradeable
- Clutch is not solid
- Poor assembly instructions
Low-seat position and protection against the collisions of
ScooterX Sport Go Kart provides safe and smooth riding. It speeds up to 45MPH so it is recommended for teens and adults only. The brake and throttle are in a hand position which is a bit faster and comfortable than they were placed by legs.
5. Kandi 150cc 2-Seat Go Kart – Full Body Adult Size Kart
The Kandi 150cc 2-Seat Go-Kart is one of the best gas-powered go-karts on the list. It’s one that your children will never want to leave, and they might not want even to allow you to give it a spin.
- It offers two seats so you can enjoy riding with your child or two of your kids can enjoy the go-kart together. The weight limit is 580 pounds.
- Kandi uses a 150cc single-cylinder, air-cooled engine to power this go-kart, creating the speed that your child will want.
- This go-kart features a dual rear swing-arm dual cover over shock suspension.
- It offers a reverse gear, which is great because the size of this go-kart needs reverse. It would be difficult to move this large kart manually.
- Kandi added plenty of safety features that parents love, such as headlights, fog lights, turn signals, a horn, and side mirrors.
The Kandi 150cc isn’t a kart for beginners, but it works great for intermediate and avid drivers. It only requires essential maintenance, so your child can have endless hours of fun. Kandi built the 150cc to built for years with straightforward maintenance.
- Multiple Safety Features
- Two Seats
- 580 Pound Weight Limit
- Only for Experienced Drivers
Kandi 150cc 2-Seat Go Kart is supplied with hydraulic disc brakes that do not heat up and provide long-lime stability and strength as well as avoid mud and dirt to get stuck inside. The implemented reverse gives an opportunity to get out of the narrow space with no extra efforts of pushing it.
The Three Types of Go-Karts for Kids
On this guide, we covered three different types of go-karts. Each one has pros and cons to consider before you try to make a purchase. Whether you’ve driven go-karts before or you’re a first-timer, let’s break down the three types of go-karts for kids.
Electric Go Karts for Kids
Electric go-karts rely on a battery to propel it around your yard. That means you will have to charge the battery for it to work, and some parents find that frustrating. You need to have a place to plug the batteries, but if you don’t have that, then look at pedal or gas-powered go-karts.
This type of go-kart doesn’t tend to reach speeds as fast as gas-powered, which makes it a safer bet for younger kids. If your child is inexperienced or young, an electric go-kart is the best route because the average maximum speed is 12 MPH.
Benefits of Electric Go-Karts
1. Better Acceleration:
An electrically powered cart has quicker acceleration. That’s because the torque is higher in an electric motor than a gas-fuelled engine and certainly miles faster than a pedal-powered vehicle. The result is a better racing vehicle and more fun for kids driving this toy.
2. Environmentally Friendly:
Electric motors are smoke and exhaust-free. This means they do not pollute like gas-powered vehicle engines. It is better for the environment and also healthier for people with allergies, respiratory problems, and smoke/exhaust sensitivities. Further, because they do not pollute, electric-powered vehicles can be run on indoor tracks making them a year-round recreational toy. Emissions from fuel-powered engines are carcinogenic so they pose an environmental and a human health risk as well.
Most electric engines — once charged — can run for at least twenty minutes on the track before requiring recharging. Gas-powered vehicles run on costly fuel. Recharging takes only half an hour. It is also possible to switch batteries quickly and easily so you can continue to use the kart while the other battery is charging. Comparatively maintenance costs are quite low.
Electric powered engines run cool. This means there is a lot less danger of heat burns or fires in this engine than in a gas-powered vehicle. Gas-powered karts have been known to spark gas tanks or explode on impact causing serious fires. In addition, no type of building ventilation is required to run electric-powered vehicles indoors.
With electric-powered vehicles, there is no need to have fuel stored on the premises. This is a definite safety factor as exploding storage tanks can cause loss of life and level a business establishment in mere minutes.
In electric-powered karts, all mechanical components are completely covered. In fuel-powered vehicles (ATV or go-kart), the drivers can burn their arms on the motor side. Scarves can get caught in the transmission gears. Accidents or fires often occur during refueling because fumes can come into contact with the very hot tank.
Because they are lighter, it is easier for a gas-powered kart to flip on the track.
5. Easy to Control
In an electric go-kart for kids, the mechanism used to release and raise the body, the transmission, batteries, motor, and controller are all easy to get at. The electric-powered vehicle is thus easier to control.
Disadvantages of Electric Powered Engines
The batteries that power electric go-karts are not as cheap as pedal go-karts.
Batteries power karts for thirty minutes and then must be recharged. This takes time off the track and therefore loss of revenue. If batteries are switched during a recharge there is a time-lapse.
Someone must be available to charge batteries. If batteries are switched someone has to be available to make the switches. This is both a cost and an inconvenience.
Since electric engines generate a lot of heat, proper ventilation is crucial. Otherwise, the engine will burn out.
- Requires Less Maintenance
- Don’t Require Any Gas
- Helps to Learn Driving Skills
- Have to Charge
- Less Power
- No Exercise
Pedal Go-Kart for Kids
Pedal go-karts only go so fast as you pedal them, so that makes them less risky for your child. If you have younger children, pedal go-karts come in various sizes and are adaptable for children of all ages.
There are pedal go-karts for those small 3-year-olds who are just learning how to pedal. Some companies offer larger-sized pedal-powered go-arts for experienced 12-year-olds. So, if you want something an ideal choice for around the house or on the sidewalks around the neighborhood.
- Great Exercise for Kids
- No Charging or Fuel Required
- Not as Fast
- Not as Exercising as Powered
Gas-Powered Go-Kart for Kids
Gas-powered go-karts are the big daddy of the go-kart world. Their engines are considerably faster than electric or pedal go-karts. Most adults prefer the gas-powered ones because they have a higher weight limit along with a faster speed.
If your child is looking for thrill and speed, gas-powered is the way to go, but they do require more maintenance and money in the long run. You have to purchase gas and oil for them, plus the engine might need some tune-ups over the years.
In general, gas-powered go-karts should be reserved for teenagers and adults. Their increased speed makes them too dangerous for young kids. Plus, they do tend to be much more expensive, well into the thousands of dollars.
- Have Way More Power
- More Likely to Have Double Seats
- No Charging or Pedaling Required
- Helps to Develop Driving Skills
- Covers All Types of Terrain
- More Adventurous
- Might Be Dangerous
- Requires Gas and Upkeep Costs
Consider The Age of Your Child
Before we look at how to pick the right go-kart for your child, the most crucial consideration is the age of your child. The age and abilities of the child that is riding the go-kart determine, ultimately, the type of go-kart that you purchase.
Children Under The Ages of Eight
For kids who are under eight years old, pedal-powered is the best choice, or you can pick an electric go-kart that is powered by one 12-Volt or a 6-Volt battery.
Children From Eight to 11 Years Old
At these ages, your child has a bit more experience and knowledge when it comes to driving the best kids go kart. They can still have fun when riding on a battery-powered go-kart. If you want to pick an electric go-kart for kids for these ages, it’s best to look for ones that have to 12-volt batteries, which will reach max speeds of 12 MPH.
Another choice is to pick a gas-powered go-kart with an engine that is 110cc and below. That will keep the speeds low enough that your child won’t be having a safety issue.
Children Above the Age of 11 Years Old
Now, your child is too big to ride electric go-karts for kids, so you have to turn to gas-powered. The motors on gas-powered go-karts come in different sizes, so they all have different top speeds.
Some can handle different maximum weight loads. Take a look at the different weights that they support. Many only recommend a rider that weighs less than 200 pounds. Some support more than one passenger at the same time.
What to Look for Before Buying a Go Kart for Kids
Before you purchase an expensive item for your child, you have to take the time to research all of the top features that matter. You need to know what features matter the most and how to match the features with your situation.
For example, if your child is seven years old, what you purchase will be different than someone with an experienced 12-year-old child. While everyone can give you their opinion and experiences, you have to look at what will work for your kids.
Safety matters when it comes to purchasing a go-kart for kids. They provide hours of fun, but parents have to think about safety. The go-kart that you purchase needs to have top-notch safety features. You want a go-kart with as many safety measures as possible.
A few safety measures that you want to see in go-karts for kids include:
- Shoulder straps
- Safety belts
- Well-built frames
- High-quality tires
If you have a gas-powered go-kart, the quality of the engine matters. An adequately built engine with high-quality materials will require less effort to maintain in the long run. That might mean you have to spend more money at first, but your children will get to enjoy this go-kart for years.
Go-karts with sturdy, durable frames create stability when driven across different types of terrain. You want a go-kart that has a sturdy, dependable, and durable frame because kids are going to punish this go-kart. Kids have no problem running over an obstacle, going through bushes, and being crazy.
Kids love speed, but you want a go-kart that has a speed governor. This allows parents to have control over the speed for younger kids. Some of the fastest go-karts have a top speed of about 30 MPH.
If you have a smaller child ten years old and under, you should look for a go-kart with a max speed of 10 MPH. If you have a child between the ages of 3-6 years old, don’t pick a go-kart over 5 MPH.
One or Two Seats
Do you have more than one child in the home? If the answer is yes, you might want to purchase a two-seater go-kart unless you plan to buy two go-karts. It’s also an option to consider if you have an older child who can safely drive the kart while their younger sibling enjoys as a passenger.
On Vs. Off-Road
How does your child plan to use this go-kart? An electric-powered go kart can be used for off-roading, but they’re better off as an on-road or in-yard vehicle. Off-road trips can be long and rough, so they use more battery power. You have to make sure your vehicle has a full charge and limit your driving time before being recharged.
So, if you want to use your go-kart for off-roading, it’s best to go for a gas-powered one. They can go for hours and handle rough terrain.
Common FAQ about Go-Karts for Kids
Are Go-Karts Considered Safe?
Yes! The best kids Go-Karts are a safe vehicle for children when operated properly. If your child is riding in a go-kart appropriate for their age and size, you don’t have to worry. Don’t forget to follow the recommended guidelines for safety when it comes to riding on go-karts.
When Is My Child Old Enough for a Go-Kart?
You have to pick the correct type and style of go-kart for your child. Children as young as three years old can ride a pedal go-kart. A motorized one is more suitable for kids around the age of 8 years old and up.
What are Some Basic Safety Guidelines for Youth Riders
- Riding a go-kart can be considered an extreme sport, just like riding a quad or a stunt scooter. While it is enjoyable, it can be dangerous for youth. So, you have to make sure your child follows basic safety guidelines to keep you worry-free and your child safe.
- Many injuries can be avoided with the use of simple safety measurements. Many of these are common sense, but you’d be surprised how often people forego basic common sense when it comes to safety.
- One of the essential parts of go-karting safety is maintenance. So, you have to make sure that you know your kart and keep it up to par at all times.
- Next comes personal safety, and there is plenty of gear that you can purchase to keep your child safe, such as helmets, jumpsuits, gloves, goggles, and more.
- The helmet is an essential thing that you can wear, no matter what vehicle you’re driving. Even if your go-kart has a roll cage around it, you should have a helmet on all riders to avoid other items bumping into their heads. Some riders add cushion to wrap around your roll bars.
Here are a few more simple safety tips for kids.
- Helmets are the number one safety feature that riding go-karts for kids. Your child should wear a helmet even if they’re riding on a pedal-powered kart.
- Add flags on the top of your child’s go-kart because many of them are low to the ground, which makes it hard for people to see them in vehicles. A flag sticks up high so that people in cars can see them.
- Always stay away from the fire such as a fire pit outside. Even though gas-powered go-karts don’t use too much fuel, there is a chance of catching on fire.
What Surfaces Are Safe to Ride on with a Go-Kart?
Most go-karts are designed to be used on smooth surfaces. It’s best to ride them on flat terrains, such as roads and sidewalks. Some do perform well on bumpy surfaces, but you want to make sure that the go-kart is meant for all-terrains.
Electric and gas-powered go-karts for kids have thicker tires than pedal go-karts, so you are allowed to use them off-road. The thinner the tires, the less comfortable it will be to ride on bumpy surfaces. Thicker tires, such as those who are used on electric and gas-powered go-karts, are better for rougher terrains.
Through all of this information, you should be able to figure out the best go-karts for kids. Buying a go-kart should be fun for parents as well as their children. Figuring out the best one for your child shouldn’t be a frustrating experience.
Before you make a purchase, read through all of this information. Making a decision is complicated because you have to match the go-kart with your child’s age and experience. All of the best kids go-karts on this list have unique qualities that make them a good choice, so compare them carefully. Look for the features that you want the most; you’ll find something to fit the bill.