After we researched 24 top-class gas-powered ATVs for kids for 2 weeks, we found out that the TAO TAO Youth Size 110cc ATV is the cream of the crop. We love its impressive speed range and the weight capacity that fits the whole family.
TAO TAO Youth Size 110cc ATV – Great Thick Tire ATV for Kids and Youth
- It comes with a remote shut-off system, so parents can watch their kids driving.
- The speed ranges from 5 to 35 MPH, so it’s suitable for beginners and experts.
- It has a weight load up to 250 pounds, so the whole family can test it out!
- The wheeler includes a 4-stroke, air-cooled engine for impressive outcomes.
Gas-powered ATVs are advanced 4-wheelers that are suitable for both children and adults. They can speed up at a fast rate to take a spin in no time. We picked out the finest gas powered ATVs, so the entire family can enjoy their pastime outdoors.
Top Gas Powered ATVs Comparison
|TAO TAO Youth Size 110cc ATV||Check Price|
|2||ICEbear 110cc ATV Four-Wheeler for Kids||Check Price|
First Step ATV
|TAO TAO Four-Wheeler 110cc ATV||Check Price|
|4||MOTOR HQ 125cc ATV for Kids||Check Price|
|TAO TAO 250 Adult Size ATV||Check Price|
5 Best Gas-Powered ATVs for Kids
1. TAO TAO Youth Size 110cc ATV – Great Thick Tire ATV for Kids and Youth
Tao Tao produces a youth 110 cc gas ATV with a Yahama built air-cooled engine. This vehicle is operated smoothly, which is a plus. It also comes in a wide range of colors that boys and girls are obsessed with. The Tao Tao is a safe and exciting 4-wheeler for kids while parents have control over the vehicle’s speed.
- A hydraulic disc brake system that is more responsive when you press it with your foot. You’ll find that it creates a smoother ride every time.
- It has front and rear suspensions that ensure the ATV can withstand any terrain. It also can hold its speed while traveling uphill and downhill.
- The ATV weighs 350 pounds, which is heavier than most beginner’s wheelers. However, the extra weight guarantees that it sticks to the ground at high speeds.
- Riders note that the speed throttle is easy to use. So you can easily adjust the speed to suit each circumstance.
The Tao Tao is a thoroughly designed youth four-wheeler. It comes with an air-cooling system, so the ATV doesn’t heat up. Thus, the vehicle will last for long. The Tao Tao has a front hand brake and a rear foot brake for precise operating, which is a plus.
- Comfortable Seat
- Neutral and Reverse Gear
- Tail Lights and Brake Lights
- Cooling System Stops Overheating
- Low Seat for Easy Getting On and Off
- Suspension System is Stiff at First
- Hard to Get Parts
- Takes Time to Warm Up
The TAO TAO 110cc ATV is a great choice for youth and children. This gas-powered vehicle has a key fob with a run and stop buttons so parents can control the ride. The product is delivered almost assembled and there’s a battery included. So your children may have a buzz just after unboxing.Read customer reviews on
2. ICEbear 110cc ATV Four-Wheeler for Kids – Good ATV for Little Beginners
If you’re searching for a basic gas-powered ATV, the ICEBear 110cc is the very one. Sleek design, thick tires, easy operating are the major benefits of the good. It comes with a fully-automatic four-stroke engine that provides riding on various terrains.
- The 6-inch tires that are perfect for gripping any terrain.
- ICEbear has a remote kill switch so that parents can turn off the ATV if necessary.
- The transmission offers a reverse feature. Many quads offer reverse, but cheaper quality models often do not.
- It has brakes all around with drum front brakes and disc rear brakes. The combination means that you don’t need to worry about brake fading when the brakes get too hot.
- ICEbear added oversized front bumper and a rear rack.
- The maximum speed is 28 MPH, so this model is for kids who are 7+ years old. But it better for experienced drivers.
- It has a 130-pound weight capacity.
You may also like the vivid color styles that are ideal for any child’s taste. The weight limit is 130 lbs, which is pretty solid. When you order the ICEbear ATV, it will come almost fully assembled, so it only takes a little time to put together.
- A Great Starter for ATVs
- Easy to Assemble
- Suitable for 7 Years Old+
- Remote Kill Switch
- All-Terrain Tires
- Not for Bigger Kids
- No Reverse
The ICEbear 110cc ATV for Kids is a fascinating option for kids aged 7-11. The vehicle is quite lightweight and easy to move. This 4-stroke fully-automatic quad is suitable for kids who just took up driving. It comes with a battery and oil; check instructions to assemble it properly.Read customer reviews on
3. TAO TAO Four-Wheeler 110cc ATV – Easy-to-Drive Durable Starter ATV
The Tao Tao offers another air-cooled 4-stroke engine with a fully-automatic transmission. That’s an awesome choice for beginner drivers. Parents love the remote control feature, being able to stop and start the vehicle.
- It has a reliable 4-stroke engine that is built to last for years.
- The throttle limiter is 5 to 28 MPH. So, you have a range of speed limits for your child’s safety and experience levels.
- It features a wheel size that is 14.5 x 7.6.
- The weight limit is 250 pounds, so even parents can take a drive with their kid.
- It only weighs 250 pounds, which is less than other similar quads.
The Tao Tao ATA Boulder is a favorite of many kids and parents. It features a top speed of 28 MPH, which is stunning. But parents stay calm with a remote control system, so their children don’t go wild. Hence, the good fits both beginners and experienced teens.
- Fully Assembled
- Remote Control
- Durable Engine
- Wide Range of Colors
- No Reverse
- Poor Suspension System
Your children will be obsessed with the TAO TAO Four-Wheeler 110cc ATV supplied with an electric 4-stroke engine. You can control your kid’s driving because of the remote control and speed limiter. It has a footbrake that provides extra safety and comfort.Read customer reviews on
4. Motor HQ 125cc for Kids – Great ATV with Lights for Bigger Kids
The Motor HQ is loved by its user-friendly interface, which makes it one of the best choices for children. Motor HQ offers the vehicle that comes with a four-stroke engine, so it’s powerful enough for different terrains.
- The tires are 6 inches wide for better stability.
- The engine is a 4-stroke, single-cylinder that is air-cooled for max horsepower. It reaches max speeds to 34 MPH.
- Motor HQ includes liftgate services, parts warranty, and free toolkits.
- It offers 3 gears – forward, neutral, and reverse.
- The front and rear suspension help to transverse rough terrain.
- Motor HQ uses a brake system that features drums on the front and disc on the rear. That helps to prevent the brakes from overheating.
This quad weighs 350 pounds; thus, it fits children aged 10 years old and more. The maximum weight load is 200 pounds, so it may come in handy for many years. Actually, it may fit an adult, so you can enjoy the ride with your child as well.
- Easy to Assemble
- Headlights and Brakelights
- Offers Reverse
- Two Metal Racks
- Not Ideal for Little Kids
This gas-powered quad is an outstanding option for youth and younger riders. It has enough legroom, so the vehicle will last for long. Depending on the age of a child, you can govern up and down the speed. The Motor HQ 125cc comes with headlights and brake lights, so it can be driven in the evening too.Read customer reviews on
5. TAO TAO 250 Adult Size ATVs – Good-Quality Capacious Adult ATV
The Tao Tao brand offers not only models for children but for adults too. Well-experienced youth and adults can drive the 250cc vehicle in a breeze. The wheeler comes with a powerful 200cc engine and a 4-speed manual transmission. Such an ATV can be driven at a fast and smooth pace, even on rough terrains.
- It has an automatic transmission and goes in reverse. The operation of the ATV is as easy as pie.
- The protective foot guard prevents the rider’s legs from touching the tires.
- Two luggage racks are on this quad – at the front and back. Perfect for storing accessories or hauling stuff.
- Tao Tao comes with a unique and catchy design that kids might love.
The Tao Tao 250cc features a powerful engine that is a plus for advanced drivers. However, the vehicle is not the ideal choice for children under 16 years old. We also like the front bumper with an outstanding design. In addition, the quad has a kill switch on the handlebar that cuts the engine off fast.
- Various Safety Features
- Reverse Gear
- Nearly Fully-Assembled
- Front and Rear Storage
- Great for Adults and Youth
- Not for Kids
- Higher Off the Ground
- Requires Driving Skills
The TAO TAO 250 Adult Size is a decent gas-powered ATV, which is family-friendly. It has a 4-speed transmission with reverse for high maneuverability. And dual brakes provide improved driving control. The top speed of the product is 40 MPH, which is a great benefit.Read customer reviews on
Best Gas ATV for Kids – Buyer’s Guide
Choosing the best 4-wheeler for kids requires research before making an order. The most suitable gas-powered ATV for your child should be age-appropriate and fit your kid’s driving skills. Moreover, there are some crucial aspects to consider if it’s your first purchase of a gas-powered vehicle. We’ve got you covered by providing a detailed review of how to pick the ideal four-wheeler.
Some quads tend to have 1,000cc (cubic centimeters) engines. But there’s no reason to pick such a quad for kids. Modern manufacturers offer models that are specially designed for children and youth. Kid ATVs feature smaller motors and bigger brakes, as well as other kid-friendly features.
Lots of 4-wheelers are designed for various purposes. However, if you’re searching for an ATV for a specific reason such as farming or trail riding, it’s better to check the product’s description first. As you don’t need a high-performance motocross quad for driving on the yard.
There are various 4-wheeler sizes depending on the driver’s age and weight:
- 70cc and below: best for kids aged 10 years old or under.
- 70cc to 125cc: great for children aged 12-15 years old.
- 125cc to 250cc: suitable for youth and adults.
- 250cc ATV and above: perfect for experienced riders.
These are approximate guidelines that might help you choose the ideal ATV for your kids. For instance, if your child is ten years old, a 70cc ATV might not be enough for them. However, you should consider your child’s age, weight, driving experience to pick the most matching model.
If your kid is a novice in ATVing, it’s better to look for a quad with a single-speed automatic transmission. This feature will help your kid control the vehicle smoothly. In addition, it will reduce the risk of popping the clutch, which might cause the rear to overturn.
When you choose a brand-new 4-wheeler, its speed peculiarity is a crucial aspect. Electric ATVs are not as fast as gas-powered ones. Thus, if high speed is the paramount feature, you should keep in mind this difference. But be sure that the top speed is appropriate to your child’s age and skills.
If your kid has just switched to a gas-powered ATV, you don’t want them to go wild right away. Hence, the max speed of 10-15 MPH is enough in this case. Due to the speed control feature that is present in most 4-wheelers, parents can set the desired speed range. When your children level up, you can speed up the vehicle.
For some customers, the style of the good might not be the uppermost aspect. But if you’re going to invest in a classy quality four-wheeler, you want it to look jaw-dropping. Besides, kids will enjoy their new toy more if it’s their favorite color. Lots of children love the classy style of an ATV that resembles the four-wheeler designed for adults.
In addition, kids are obsessed with printings that match their fave cartoon character or game. That’s totally a game-changer. Younger children are prone to pick vivid color styles, while older teens may crave for an adult look.
When it comes to children, safety is the overriding feature that should be taken into consideration. It’s recommended to choose from reputable brands that offer durable and quality goods. Modern brands produce various safety features. These may be throttle limiters, exhaust restrictors, and remote kill switches. These options provide extra safety, so parents can track their children’s driving.
Here are the essential safety characteristics for you to consider:
- Suspension System
Enhanced suspension systems come with coil springs. They come with shock absorbers for improved traction and control. Hence, the proper suspension system provides a smooth ride, which is a plus. Besides, a quad that has pneumatic tires for suspension fits a rough, popping ride that can pitch your kid sideways.
- Braking System
Check the braking system of the ATV you want to purchase. Some models come only with rear brakes, while others use front and rear brakes with separate operating. Rookie riders should learn how to handle the braking system of the ATV duly. This will help your child ride a four-wheeler safely and avoid severe injuries.
- Foot Rests
Drivers require a space where to place their feet while riding a gas quad. Rear fenders and footrests are designed to avoid a kid’s foot stuck under a rear wheel. This aspect is a must-have when considering a brand-new ATV.
- Engine Heating Up
Some hot engine details, such as the exhaust or mufflers, must be accurately placed and protected. A proper assembly prevents the vehicle’s flammable components from the chance of lit up.
No doubt, the price tag plays a decisive role in choosing a new four-wheeler. The cost of a gas-powered ATV can vary based on the brand, features, and quality of the goods. The type of vehicle also affects the price.
For instance, four-wheelers for little kids aged 2-4 years old may cost from $129 to $350. The average price of gas ATVs for 6+ years old is between $350 to $550. While the vehicles designed for teens and youth cost $600-$950. Actually, various manufacturers provide different options, both affordable and pricey.
Apart from the peculiarities mentioned above, lots of extra stuff can be added to the wheeler. Such as a storage space and cup holders to grab some snacks on the go. Another feature is all-terrain tires, which bring greater performance and extra longevity. Thus, you may consider some of these options as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is ATV?
An ATV stands for an All-Terrain Vehicle. They’re also known as quads, quadricycle, or four-wheelers. The vehicle features a motorbike engine design, low-pressure tires, and handbrakes for better operation. It comes with a driver seat. Most models are single-seated but you can also find double-seated options.
While an ATV is defined as a street-legal vehicle in many countries, the wheeler is claimed as illegal to be driven on most territories of the USA, Canada, and Australia. That’s why you should think it over, where your kids are going to drive your ATV.
Are Kids’ ATVs Safe?
Some parents may concern whether an ATV is safe for kids riding. Thus we want to clarify some aspects.
No doubt, we crave for the safest conditions for our kids. Especially, if it comes to driving. ATVing is safe for kids as long as you follow crucial safety guidelines. Make sure the quad you want to purchase for your children is age appropriate. As well as the weight limit and required driving skills match your needs.
Therefore, a ten years old kid should never get on the seat of an adult ATV. If your child is a novice in driving, consider investing in a basic four-wheeler with a limited speed.
What Are Main Safety Guidelines I Should Follow?
Here are basic safety instructions you should consider when picking a youth ATV.
- Never let your kid drive a quad on paved roads. ATVs are commonly designed for off-road terrains. Thus, it may be hard to control the vehicle on paved roads. Such driving increases the risk of flipping the four-wheeler.
- Don’t allow your children to use ATV made for adults. Youth quads are prone to having speed limiters to make it safer.
- One seat is always provided for one user. ATVs, particularly youth wheelers, aren’t designed for more than one person. You can easily get over the weight limit that can lead to poor control and the risk of an accident.
- Don’t forget to put on proper safety gear to lessen the risk of severe injuries.
What Safety Gear Does My Kid Need When Riding an ATV?
When purchasing the very first ATV for your children, you should also consider investing in safety gear. These are a solid helmet, long sleeves, protective gloves, riding boots, and safety goggles.
Firm headgear is the utmost safety equipment every child has to wear. It should have a snugly fit, not too loose and not too tight. Modern kids helmets come with thick padded inlining that has enhanced shock-absorbing features. The outer shell is commonly made with solid and durable materials. Thus, such gear is possible to wear in various weather conditions.
The American National Standards Institute and US Department of Transportation provide strict requirements. Every certified helmet should follow these guidelines. Most of them come with eye protection as well.
In addition, you can set lights, reflectors, and flags to raise a chance of visibility.
What’s the Difference Between Gas and Electric ATVs?
If it’s your first order of an ATV, you may feel confused about choosing between electric and gas ATVs. Here’s a brief comparison of these two popular types of four-wheelers.
- Electric quads are recommended for little riders as they are safer and easier to operate. This type of 4-wheeler doesn’t go too fast. The average top speed is approximately 5-8 MPH. They require low maintenance, and one riding session generally lasts up to 45 minutes. All you need to do is recharge the battery and enjoy the ride.
- Gas-powered quads demand to charge with fuel. Additionally, you have to be aware of dealing with a motor. Thus, this option is better for older children and youth. Such a four-wheeler requires some skills and confidence while driving. Teens love this type of ATV because they have a decent weight limit as well as speed range.
Choosing the Best ATV for Children and Youth
It goes without saying that choosing one model for all family members is not the best idea. For maximum comfort, you have to opt for a four-wheeler based on the age and experience of the driver. Unlike dirt bikes, all-terrain vehicles are easier to control and more comfortable to drive. Your kids can hop on and take off just after unboxing and assembling. Putting details together is stress-free as most quads come nearly assembled. So your children are able to take a spin in no time.
Mind the purpose of purchasing a quad. If you’re looking for an ATV for trail riding, you should probably consider sports models. Thus, four-wheelers designed for work or utility is not the best option. High-performance motocross ATVs or those made for farm work won’t be the best match for family outdoor activities.
In addition, lots of parents prefer their children driving ATVs with an adult remote control system. This feature includes throttle limiters, exhaust restrictors, and remote kill switches. Therefore, parents can check the speed and increase it when their children master their skills.
Drivers of different ages need various vehicle types. Here’s a list of four basic categories:
- 70 cc ATV and below — best for children of the age of 10.
- 70 cc to 125 cc ATV — kids aged 12 to 15.
- 125 cc to 250 cc ATV — novice older teens to adults.
- 250 cc ATV and above — experienced drivers.
These suggestions are basic guidelines. A well-experienced ten years old rider will be likely to find a 70 cc ATV boring and slow. However, it’s better to start with something light, not to get too wild.
Rookie ATV riders should begin with a 4-wheeler that comes with single-speed automatic transmissions. So the beginner is able to control the power easily. Besides, an automatic clutch lessens the risk of “popping the clutch”. This might lead a rear to flip over.
Apart from 4-wheeler design, there are tricycle quads. Mind that the major difference between three-wheelers and four-wheelers is stability. Three-wheelers tend to side overturns more. That’s why 4-wheelers are more popular nowadays. But some three-wheeler vehicles are also available on the market. However, it’s not recommended to invest in a three-wheeler if your child is new in ATVing.
Modern manufacturers can add some extra accessories, which is a significant plus. But it may affect the price of an all-terrain wheeler. Top-notch expensive models might include such peculiarities as independent rear suspension, power steering, and manual clutches. But you should accept the fact that these features are not for beginner drivers. Well, it comes with practice.
That’s why it’s strongly recommended to consider investing in a basic and budget-friendly option for the first time. Let your child feel the drive and improve their skills over time. If it goes well, you may pick a level up wheeler. As with any other activity, start with a smaller option. Soon after, you can just upgrade the engine as soon as your kid feels confident and gains enough experience.
Riding an all-terrain vehicle is exciting for people of all ages. It’s an awesome activity that is rather popular among the youth. However, it’s appropriate for outdoor family games. To feel the buzz to the max, make sure you choose the age-appropriate model. Hope, this article will help you make the right choice.
Remember that safety has a paramount priority when it comes to kids riding. Thus, you have to be aware of your local laws and regulations of ATV riding. Duly maintenance and storage are also substantial in terms of longevity of the quad.
If you’re planning a family vacation, mind that in the USA, there are places that are ATV-friendly. For instance, in Colorado, there are state parks with loads of ATV trails. Some of them are located in State Forest Park in Walden. It features 4WD trails length of 75 miles. Another spot is in Western Colorado – Vega State Park, with its Grand Mesa National Forest.
Such facilities usually provide their visitors with specially equipped campgrounds for placing ATVs and their drivers.
Sounds good, right? Summertime is looking for breathtaking adventures!
Kids enjoy the idea of having a four-wheeler! This is a marvelous present that will entertain your child for long, hands down. But before you make an order, be sure to check all the features provided by the manufacturer. Compare the price, safety features, max speed, and age recommendations to make a perfect choice. Therefore, you’ll pick the most suitable gas-powered quad for your young driver.